Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Website Woes

I decided to change the title of my blog to "beads! beads! beads!", because it sounds 1% more professional than "Penguins Dancing Down a Rainbow".

I also can no longer use my website stamp with the penguin on it, because (drumroll), my website no longer exists! All my website, blogging, and business card plans crumbled like a cookie in some schmuck's greedy fist. Well, maybe not crumbled, it's probably more of a setback since I have to start all over again.

I used to sell on Artfire, mainly because the website was easy to manage, and it was free. Sellers had the option of a basic account, or paying 10 - 12 dollars a month for special features. Just a few months ago, Artfire blindsided me (and a great number of other people) by eliminating the basic account and making all paid accounts mandatory. They gave all basic account users a few months notice to close up shop or start paying the monthly fee.

Rather than pay $120.00 a year that I can't spare, I packed up shop. Unfortunately Artfire announced this soon after my fiance surprised me with 500 extremely nice customized business cards. Poor fiance.

So yes. Artfire sucks. But really, what does one expect from a service that was absolutely free? They had no incentive to be helpful to those who held basic accounts.

So what followed was a long hiatus where I searched for a new website to sell stuff on. I considered Etsy, but I don't like how I have to pay again, to relist my items, every 4 months or so. Trust me. I don't make sales that fast!

Anyways, I'm in the midst of setting up shop at http://www.bonanza.com/ . I didn't make my specific URL available yet because I am not finished setting up (although if you follow me on Twitter you got a sneak peek). But this or next weekend I'll hopefully launch the website!

And in a few days, I'll post a little tutorial or demonstration as to what goes into my design process for jewellery.

Toodles!

'
here's a pic of my cat (willingly!) modelling jewellery for me! Isn't he a darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment